A degree in advertising or marketing, are usually necessary to obtain a job in copywriting. Although you could also get trained through specialized copywriting courses and programs from Copywriting Institutes. Copywriters need creativity, good communications skills and knowledge of sales and marketing.
Hone your Skill Set
Below are seven skills you need to stay relevant as a Copywriter
- Ability to Define and Know your Audience is key
- Ability to communicate to your audience your experiences with down to earth Storylines.
- Refined Writing Skills. To be a great copywriter, you need to write well.
- A Sense Of Adventure And Curiosity.
- Stellar Research Skills. Research strengthens your back knowledge of the subject matter
- The Ability To Create Something New, Even If It’s Old.
- Writing With Empathy. Empathy helps you to be on same page with your clients
Locate a Great Copywriter and stick to him or her as your Mentor.
Mentors help mentees to shorten their learning curves.
Commit to Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
CPD through online and onsite refresher courses, e-books, podcasts, etc are keys to gaining mastery in the Copywriting field.
Be Active in a Copywriting Community
This will help for synergy and cross pollination of working actionable ideas.
Start Writing your Sales Copies
Even if it is for free, for companies around. Then as you gain mastering, start charging your clients no matter how little it is and grow your charges with time.